Monday, June 13, 2011

"Skid-row" Window Box

What's in a name? No, I don't mean that this window box looks like junk, just that it's made from junk, namely an old skid. I have been pining for a nice window box for a while now as it would look gorgeous by my neighbor's (yes I know, unfortunately I don't get a nice garden view) window. So every time I go to Home Depot or some other place I check them out and, outch!, those prices just aren't quite right. I considered a plastic one, but it's just not the same. Since I didn't feel like lugging timer around on the bus I decided I'd just go without or eventually go with plastic.

While I was walking to CVS this afternoon I saw an old skid lying out back in the trash and it donned on me: wood + nails = window box! All the materials were right there right down to the nails. Now I'm no carpenter but it seemed simple enough. I know merchants store them out back in the alley, but this one was in the trash so I picked it up and drove the neighbors crazy all afternoon with my hammering. At least they get the view...

Now this box the way I made it wouldn't be strong enough to hang but if you substitute in a wooden bottom and use the glue and clamps it could be. I don't need mine to hang so I didn't concern myself with it.

Skid-Row Window Box


A great way to reuse those old or broken skids merchants are getting rid of. You'll only need a few pieces to make each box (you can get like 3+ boxes out of 1 skid) so the skid can be pretty broken. See if any local vendors have any they'd be willing to donate. It's useful to have a crow bar to pry off the boards but not necessary. I did it with just the hammer.

Materials
  • 1 (partial) skid
  • hammer
  • crow bar (optional)
  • saw
  • nails or liquid nails/wood glue
  • 1 large sheet of corrugated plastic
  • scissors/utility knife
  • paint (optional)

Directions

1. Start by prying off two of the horizontal slats with your hammer or crow bar. Carefully remove the nails as you do so and save if planning to use later.




 2.  Use a saw to cut two short pieces of wood from the middle beams your slats were attached to (they are sticking up in the image above). Cut these pieces as long as you want your box to be wide. Once the first is cut, mark its length on the second either with a cut or a marker so the pieces are even.


3. Once your pieces are cut you are ready to assemble the box. Nail through the long pieces (widthwise) into the short (lengthwise). Usually your short pieces will be thicker because of the way skids are constructed so it is a good idea to nail into their length (see photo below for clarification, that's difficult to put into words). Nail the other end of your long piece to the other short. Nail on the second long piece of wood in the same fashion to assemble the box. When you are done each end of wood should have 2 nails in it: one in each corner.

The nails go through the long pieces (on top) and into the short (on bottom)


OR

Glue the box together in the same pattern. You will need to clamp your box together for at least 24 hours before you can continue to step 4.




4.  Lay your box on your plastic sheet. Cut a piece long and wide enough to completely cover the base of your box (sides included). If it is not long enough that is fine. Simply cut a second piece to cover the gap (if you have a second piece you will nail the first and second on top of one another so leave a little excess length). Nail the plastic onto the bottom with as many nails as necessary to prevent gaps. It is best to nail toward the middle so if your nail should slip out of the wood it is on the interior of your box.




5. Paint your box and it's ready to use!



It might not be fancy but it looks nice. Sorry I haven't planted it yet. I'll update the photos when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment