Wednesday, June 8, 2011

[Deck]Orations

So this is just my little rant about decorating my back deck/fire escape. It's the only escape from indoors my apartment has and it's spacious enough to do something with. Not to mention no one else has direct access but me.

So here it is. It's not much but it's mine (yes I strap down my chairs!). I'm simply glad I have a private place for sitting outside and cooking. Technically those steps go up to the roof so that's fun and gives me a lot more room; however, I can't really leave my plants up there nor would I decorate that view since I can't look at it. It get's pretty hot in my little space but plastic bags keep my cacao humid and frequent waterings can keep anything else from getting too dry. The main problem I've had was the sun. Most plants need to be in the area where the sun isn't quite so constant. My palm got sunburnt when I left him where the sun lasted most of the day.

Right now it's pretty boring looking (and dirty but unfortunately there's not much I can do about that when you consider the "floor" material). I think some pots beneath the steps and some vine over the balcony portion would spice it up. I'm also thinking that hanging some pots from the railing going up would be nice. Luckily there's plenty of room to plant without causing a fire hazard. Lots to play with and Home Depot will be calling my name tomorrow.

Additionally I'd like to add something to hang off the third floor balcony. Vines would be nice but we'll see. I think it could look nice. I'm going to be throwing my best friend her first birthday away from everyone she knows here so I want things to look festive. So many ideas for a girl to garden up. I will be sure to post any final project photos and I'm open to any fabulous suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment