Saturday, May 21, 2011

Meet the Plants

These are the two I have that are growing and big right now. I have the urge to name them now that I have to write about them so we'll call the big one Osmer and the little one there Pico.

Osmer is a bird of paradise and he's about a year old. In maybe seven more he'll finally flower. I bought him at an exotic plant shop where the owner gave me a batch of seeds that I recently planted. It'll be a while before they germinate as birds of paradise and their relatives, the banana, take a long time (sometimes as long as 9 months he told me) to sprout.

Pico is my cacao plant and he's just a few weeks old. He lives under a big pretzel jar so he gets humidity. We've had some trouble together. He's from my first round with cacao and let me tell you it was very experimental. The ones that were left after bouts with disease and rough conditions died when I had to go home for a weekend. Except Pico. He's had a rough time but it seems that he's still going strong. He has to be propped up because that big leaf is too heavy for his stem as of yet. I'm not sure how this is going to work out but I'm still hoping for the best.

I have lots of house plants but they aren't the subject of this blog as of yet. Most of them are just your average houseplant that doesn't require much special attention. So here's what I've got so far and I'll be blogging about my new additions.

Additional Images:




~~

No comments:

Post a Comment